Town of Henrietta
General Description: This position is responsible for determining valuations and assessments of real property within the Town for the purpose of ad valorem taxation. The Town has approximately 45% of its value in residential property, 45% in commercial property and 10% in other properties, including utilities, railroads, etc. The Assessor reports directly to the Henrietta Town Supervisor.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, administers, and provides overall supervision of property appraisal programs for assessment purposes; maintains appropriate level of qualified staff to ensure work is completed to achieve overall department goals
- Organizes, plans and directs the activities of field assessment personnel.
- Supervises the preparation of assessment rolls and the maintenance of assessment records.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of a record file of all real properties.
- Schedules, assigns, supervises and evaluates a subordinate staff.
- Responds to inquiries regarding assessed valuation.
- Reviews deeds for accuracy in property and deed descriptions.
- Administers the effects of changing property boundaries of existing parcels.
- Attends grievance hearings and makes comments to the “Board of Assessment Review” regarding appeals of assessed valuation and administrates the Board’s determinations
- Represents the Town in defending assessments appealed to the appropriate court and State Tax Commission, and in participating at seminars and conferences at various county and State associations.
- Administers and enforces the real property tax exemption programs mandated by New York State.
- Communicates with the Town Board, County Director of Real Property Tax Service, school districts, planning boards, zoning boards and town attorneys.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General Appraisal Certification Preferred
- Thorough knowledge of modern real property assessment principles and practices
- Ability to read and comprehend architectural blueprints, site plans, survey maps, and tax maps
- Ability to develop a departmental budget
- Ability to read and comprehend deeds and land contracts
- Ability to deal effectively with the general public; good judgment
- Valid driver’s license to meet travel requirements
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Please send resumes to Town of Henrietta, Personnel, 475 Calkins Road, Henrietta, NY 14467 or email email@example.com.